St. Andrew’s United Church was recognized for the preservation of a heritage building. Matt and Jan Choquette’s Beatniks Bistro was honored for the adaptive re-use of a building while respecting its heritage relevance. ParkLane Home’s Bedford Landing received the award for incorporating many aspects of local history in a new development.
The sanctuary of St. Andrews was built in 1885 on property donated by James Mackie, Langley’s first warden (mayor). The recent work involved restoring rotting beams under the church and including a full basement under the original building.
The transformation of the 1933 Moorehouse residence into Beatniks Bistro reused the original siding and flooring and returned the windows and roofing to the original materials.
ParkLane’s Bedford Landing residential development won recognition for saving many large artifacts from the site of the old McDonald Cedar Mill on Bedford Channel, and the preservation of local history through street names and signage. Log boom cranes, a hydraulic debarker and a pump house are among the artifacts on display along the Fort to Fort Trail. Interpretive signage along the extensive trail network explains the history and environment of the area.