The streets may be new but the names belong to notable individuals and families that are part of the history of Fort Langley and area. The new waterfront neighbourhood in Fort Langley known as Bedford Landing has incorporated many heritage features into the redevelopment of the former MacDonald Cedar Mill site. The street naming is one such feature.
Billy Brown Road
William Harvey “Billy” Brown was a carpenter who built Jacob Haldi’s house (Bedford House Restaurant) in 1910. He also served in the First World War.
Sir James Douglas was selected by Queen Victoria in 1858 to become the first governor of the new colony of British Columbia. On November 19th of that year Governor Douglas proclaimed British sovereignty over the B.C. mainland.
Chief Casimir (1844-1927) was the leader of the Kwantlen people who had a village across the Bedford Channel on MacMillan Island.
Jenny Lewis Avenue
Jenny Lewis was an active member of local organizations including the May Day Committee. She was the sister of the Simpson Brothers who ran the grocery store from 1929 to 1951.
Edward Muench, born in Germany, immigrated to Langley in the 1860’s after first spending a number of years in the U.S. He made his home on the Fraser River near what is now Derby Reach Regional Park. His signature is among the names requesting and leading to the municipality of Langley’s incorporation in 1873.
David Moss Coulter came from Ontario to Fort Langley in 1897. He formed a partnership with John Walter Berry and they purchased two general stores, one at Murray’s Corner and the other in Fort Langley. Coulter ran the Fort Langley store.
Other historic street names in the new Bedford Landing neighbourhood of Fort Langley include Kanaka Street, Singh Street, Waska Street, Bedford Trail and Back Trail, all named after people important in the community’s heritage. A series of interpretive plaques will soon be installed by Parklane Homes.